Helpers Rewards is the most important type of attitude to embrace in order to benefit from the Integrative Therapist Network. This is a simple yet profound concept: the more you give, the more you receive. The more you refer, the more likely you will receive referrals. The concept consists of two universal principles:
- The Law of Reciprocity. This means that the recipient is likely to go out of their way to reciprocate. This person will become highly attuned to opportunities that would be a good fit for the person who gave them the referral.
- The Law of Generosity. The universe has a way of making sure that those who do good will have good done unto them. If you give a referral to someone, it increases the odds that you will receive one from a totally different source.
Some of you may discuss the importance of these principles with your clients yet you may have difficulty practicing this in your professional lives. It is easy for mental health practitioners to become isolated in one’s practice. When we come from a place of fear and scarcity, then it becomes easy to disconnect from others, life and the joy of helping. When we embrace an attitude of abundance and giving, then we position ourselves to truly expand our practice. Some simple tips on practicing Helpers Reward:
- Give to other members in the network without judgment, condition, or expectation of receiving something in return.
- Enjoy the spirit of giving and seeing other members thrive in their practice.
- Stay receptive. Receiving a referral may come in the form of a direct referral, strategic referral, support or an unexpected professional opportunity.
- Giving generates the quality of goodwill or benevolence. You become more a magnet for referrals when you embody the quality of goodwill.
- Listen to the other members about what they need. Ask them simple questions such as “How can I help you?”, “What can I do to help you grow your practice?”